Skip to content
Landing page show after 5 seconds.
Mon, Jul
0 New Articles

Doves released following funeral of murder victim


FINAL JOURNEY The funeral cortege of Michael Francis McDonagh (pictured below), passes through Knock village on Saturday afternoon. The funeral service took place at Church of St John The Baptist, Knock. Pic: Conor McKeown

Man in custody after death of 24-year-old Knock man after incident in Swinford

Michael Commins and Anton McNulty

Doves and balloons were released into the sky following the funeral of a 24-year-old Knock man who was killed following an assault in Swinford last week.
Michael Francis McDonagh of 22 Carrowmore Drive, Knock, was killed on Monday night, November 16, following an incident at a house in Carrabeg, Swinford.
Mateusz Bariuk (31) of 1 Carrabeg, Swinford, was arrested at the scene by gardaí and was later charged with Mr McDonagh’s murder.
The funeral service of the 24 year old was celebrated in Knock Parish Church on Saturday by Fr Richard Gibbons, PP. It was attended by family members of the young man, many of whom were still in shock after the sad tidings of some days earlier.
Following the Mass, a large number of family and friends accompanied the cortege on its way to the local cemetery in Knock, with the coffin being shouldered in relays along the way.
A number of doves were released following the graveside prayers, as well as a large number of balloons, which floated off into the grey skies over Mayo. A large number of wreaths were also laid on the grave.

Weapon recovered
The incident involving Mr McDonagh occurred at approximately 10.30pm on Monday night. His body was removed from the scene at approximately 10.45pm to Mayo University Hospital, where a postmortem was carried out by the Deputy State Pathologist Dr Kathleen Han Suyin.
While the cause of death has not been released, it is believed that the victim may have suffered stab wounds in the altercation in the house. A weapon believed to have been involved in the incident was recovered at the scene.
The scene was examined by Garda scenes-of-crime examiners, and gardaí carried out house-to-house enquiries and studied CCTV in a bid to identify what may have led to the assault on the victim.
Mr Bariuk was brought before Castlebar District Court last Wednesday, shortly after he was charged with Mr McDonagh’s murder.
Detective Garda Sinéad Caheny told Judge Fiona Lydon that she charged Mr Bariuk at 12.20am on November 18 and after caution, the defendant replied ‘no comment’.
Wearing a blue, red and grey-coloured zip top and a medical mask, Mr Bariuk did not speak during the brief hearing and was flanked by two gardaí and accompanied by a Polish translator.
Mr Bariuk was initially remanded on bail to appear before Harristown District Court on Friday and following this sitting he was place on further remand to appear before the same court this Friday.
Ms Cathy McDarby, solicitor for Mr Bariuk asked that her client receive psychiatric treatment while in custody and requested that he be put in protective custody for his own safety.
Judge Lydon directed that Mr Bariuk receive psychiatric attention but stated the issue of protective custody was a matter of the governor.
She also granted legal aid to Ms McDarby after hearing Mr Bariuk was unemployed and there was no state objection to the application.
Mr McDonagh is deeply regretted by his mom and dad Winnie and Bernie, and will be sadly missed by his mother, Ellen; father, Thomas; brother, Jason; sisters, Annie, Ellie, Mary, Samantha, Fiona, Donna, Linda, Tina, Mary, Winnie, Bridget Marguerite; brothers, Patrick and William; grandparents, Oweny and Annie; uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, cousins, relatives and many friends.